Thursday, January 12, 2012

My First Visitors!

Oh my goodness – I cannot believe it’s almost been a month since I last updated this space! I have been blessed with a wonderfully busy and visitor-filled holiday season, and am just getting myself organized again! 

My first visitors – Pei Pei (a friend from work) and a friend of hers from college – arrived the Friday of the weekend before Christmas. Although we headed out for a late dinner, after a stroll along Regent street to see the Christmas lights we all caught a second wind and danced until early the next morning at a place I first discovered when I studied here – Tiger Tiger!

On Saturday we took a LONG walk to see some of the best sights along the Thames: the Tower of London, Tower Bridge, the Globe Theatre, Tate Modern, the London Eye and Parliament. Along the way we walked through Borough market, which was foodie heaven! We sampled some Empanadas before getting back to the river walk. Later, we browsed the Christmas market near the London Eye, and only held out against the many temptations by the promise of our delicious dinner to come. For dinner, we got dressed up and went to Inamo – a pan-Asian restaurant in Soho highly rated for its food and known for its innovative ordering system. We got a little carried away choosing from the touch screen menu with photos, but everything we ate was amazing!
Me and Pei Pei in front of Parliament.


A Snack?
Sunday morning we did a bit of shopping at Petticoat Lane market and Spitalfields Market near my flat. We found some great deals and unique Christmas presents! Later, we all experienced our first full “Afternoon Tea” – complete with crust-less sandwiches, scones, clotted cream and plenty of milky tea. It was a very filling meal, and it allowed us to get to the theater with plenty of time to spare. We had booked tickets to see Thriller Live – an all-singing, all-dancing concert/tribute to Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5. The performers were excellent, with different singers doing the various styles of music, and included one guy who had both the voice and the moves!


The girls stayed another day, but I had to work and attend one final Christmas party, but it was so nice to be able to spend some time with friends during the Christmas season in London! I spent the rest of the week finishing up as much as I could at work, as well as my shopping, but found some time to go to the “Winter Wonderland” in Hyde Park with some friends I met through work. I had heard nothing but rave reviews, and it lived up to its hype. There is nothing that brings out the Christmas spirit and child inside like riding some carnival rides.
Merry Christmas from London!

No comments: